Wednesday, June 20, 2012

how did your dad show his love for you

Father's Day was last weekend. I didn't get to go visit my dad, like I would normally. We live an hour away and it just wasn't possible. So, I'd like to share a little about my dad. I did not wanna blast on facebook how much I think he is awesome, because unfortunately, I know that not everyone has a dad....like a real, good dad.

I don't think it is any secret. I think my dad is the most amazing man ever. He didn't start out with a silver spoon in his mouth, or even a plastic one. He was told he'd never amount to nothing. And dis-owned by his father....because he had long hair. The hair that attracted my mom to him. Just think if he would have had that buzz cut his father wanted?!?! My dad was on his own at a very young age. VERY young. He didn't even walk into the halls of a high school, well, for attending school anyway.





I think when we are growing up, if we aren't careful, we can judge our parents, because they aren't perfect. It isn't until you have either A. matured or B. became a parent that you realize that adults are human.

Back to my father, he is amazing.....and I have so many reasons for that statement. Here are some....

He honored and loved his mom.
He learned a skill, as a young man, and has used it to take care of his family, including starting a business in the back of his friends garage. Working most nights past our bed time. {which of course makes my mom pretty amazing, too....but this is about my dad.}
Most of my childhood, he worked 2 jobs to take care of us.
We had a pretty big garden every summer, we could just go and pick snap peas while playing outside.
He made sure that we had opportunities that he did not.
He was at every game he could attend, which was most.
He taught us with actions, and not just words.....that our word was everything and honesty really is the best policy.
He allowed us to have pets, even though he knew that my mom and him would end up taking care of them.
He was careful to protect us from influences and environments we shouldn't be around, even if that meant family.
He was/is honest about his struggles and weaknesses.
He serves others.
He is the hardest worker I know. Hands down.
He lives in pain every. single. day. Doesn't let that stop him and I could bet you probably haven't heard him complain. And if there is a chance you have, well....the pain must've been horrific that day!
He took us camping and fishing and day trips to the lake.
He has lived in face of judgments from SO many people and yet he keeps doing him. Doing the best he can.....which is pretty darn good anyway.
He is a learner. He reads everyday. He doesn't allow the fact that he didn't have education stop him from learning.
He takes care of others.
And he's the best grill master there is. On the entire planet.



It truly makes my heart sing when I see him be a Papa to my kiddos and nephews. To fix swingsets or bikes. To bake with them. To grill with them. To work in the garden with them. Or to take them to the berries in the yard, that he has been growing for them. Passing down wisdom along w/ a ball. Giving a lecture here and there.....all while still being the Papa. Bringing home sand for the sand box. Fixing the kids {big or small ;);)} favorite dishes for bbq's.


Anyone can be a father, it takes someone special to be a dad and a papa!




2 comments: